This comprehensive, ready-to-adopt Abnormal Psychology course provides thorough coverage of all topics from The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), including a discussion of all major mental disorders, etiology, epidemiology, and treatments. The course includes frequent examples, case studies, videos, and practice opportunities to foster application and critical thinking
What makes this Abnormal Psychology course unique and effective?
- The course emphasizes the biopsychosocial model and encourages students to think both objectively and compassionately about individuals experiencing mental illness.
- Each section on mental disorders contains videos, practice questions, key takeaways, and glossaries.
- Sample case studies are included with each module and examples from both clinical research and practice are incorporated within the readings.
- Multiple interactive pieces encourage students to apply the concepts they are learning.
- Every module includes Powerpoint slides, discussions, and assignments to help instructors easily adopt the course.
Table of Contents:
- Module 1: Understanding Abnormal Behavior
- Module 2: Research and Ethics in Abnormal Psychology
- Module 3: Psychological Approaches and Treatment of Abnormal Behavior
- Module 4: Anxiety Disorders
- Module 5: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Stressor Related Disorders
- Module 6: Somatic Symptom Disorders and Dissociative Disorders
- Module 7: Mood Disorders
- Module 8: Eating and Sleep Disorders
- Module 9: Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
- Module 10: Sexual Deviations and Dysfunctions
- Module 11: Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders
- Module 12: Personality Disorders
- Module 13: Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
- Module 14: Neurocognitive Disorders
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Waymaker Courseware: User-friendly Waymaker learning tools improve success for at-risk students with personalized study plans, automated study tips and nudges, and early alerts to identify and help struggling students.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
The course is developed with the help of a dedicated team of psychologists and practitioners, including materials from OpenStax and Noba.
- Anton Tolman, Utah Valley University
- Robert Hoople, SUNY Oneonta
- Christina Hicks, MS, CRC
- Sonja Ann Miller, Hudson Valley Community College
- Margaret Krone, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Julie Manley, Coppin State University
- Wallis Back, Glendale Career College
- Julie Lazzara, Paradise Valley Community College
What People Are Saying
“I’ve taught been repeatedly impressed with the quality and timeliness of the content and the abundance of instructor tools. As a professor committed to using low-cost instructional materials, I’m excited to have another Waymaker course for the Psychology curriculum. With Waymaker, Lumen makes it easy to provide low-cost instructional materials to students without having to compromise quality,“ – Jessica Traylor, Gordon State College
“Waymaker is a great way to engage students with the course content and hold them accountable for engaging with the course material. Waymaker raises expectations for student learning while providing access to course content at a low cost.” – Katherine Cameron, Coppin State University
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.