This Introduction to Business course develops students’ understanding of business fundamentals with learning design structured around timely, real-world case studies and examples. Key topics include the role of business, the global economic and legal environment, ethics, marketing, accounting and finance, and managing processes and operations. Enriched OER content (text, video, simulations, etc.) orients students to the shifting business landscape and prepares them for success in business program curriculum and the workplace.
This course was written by Linda Williams (Tidewater Community College) and Lumen Learning, with contributions from Nina Burokas (Mendocino College, Saddleback College) and Robert Danielson (Saint Mary’s College of California), and is supplemented by content from OpenStax Principles of Economics, Boundless Business, and videos from multiple sources. Additional contributions were created by Tina Lance at Germanna Community College, Wendy Wright at Cerritos College, Betty Fitte at Tidewater Community College, Bob Carroll & Andrea Foster at Montgomery Community College, and Charlene Barker at Spokane Falls Community College.
This new edition of Waymaker Introduction to Business includes improvements and enhancements. We have fully revised Module 8: Entrepreneurship and added a new module, Module 17: Using Technology to Manage Business Information. These improved and new modules both include practice opportunities for students to enrich their learning.
Introduction to Business is available as a Waymaker course or as a Candela course.
- Waymaker: User-friendly digital courseware with data-driven learning design, personalization, and messaging tools that can increase student engagement, persistence, and passing rates.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s low-cost Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
Linda Williams, Tidewater Community College
Nina Burokas, Mendocino College and Saddleback College
Robert Danielson, Saint Mary’s College of California
Tina Lance, Germanna Community College
Wendy Wright, Cerritos College
Betty Fitte, Tidewater Community College
Bob Carroll, Montgomery Community College
Andrea Foster, Montgomery Community College
Charlene Barker, Spokane Falls Community College
What People Are Saying
Faculty Roundtable: Waymaker Introduction to Business
View this faculty roundtable recording to hear about other teachers’ experiences using these course materials. This session features Professor Linda Williams of Tidewater Community College.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.