As the second of a three-course sequence that culminates in English Composition I (college-level composition), Introduction to College Composition focuses on helping students practice and strengthen the basic concepts and skills of the writing process: critical reading; process-based writing; research and documentation; and practical grammar and mechanics. An optional module introduces “college success” strategies that help students understand and develop good habits to improve their performance in this and other college courses. Course content may be used for standard instruction or diagnostically to discover and address gaps in students’ skills and knowledge.
This course was developed by Lumen Learning in conjunction with Cerritos College and incorporates material from multiple open sources.
Introduction to College Composition is available as a Waymaker course or as a Candela course.
- Waymaker: User-friendly digital courseware with data-driven learning design, personalization, and messaging tools that can increase student engagement, persistence, and passing rates.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s low-cost Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
What People Are Saying
Video Overview: Waymaker Developmental English & College Composition
This recorded webinar provides a guided walkthrough of Lumen’s Developmental English and College Composition course materials, including learning design, OER content, course structure, and how Waymaker courseware personalizes the learning experience and deepens student engagement.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.