Mathematics for the Liberal Arts Corequisite
This course is designed to be used as a corequisite solution or as a traditional Math for Liberal Arts course with plenty of additional support for those students struggling with prerequisite skills and three new quantitative reasoning modules. Each module begins with a “Review Topics for Success” section in which critical topics from the developmental algebra series are examined. Additionally, just-in-time review of developmental math concepts appear throughout the text to help those students who need further learning support.
The course includes embedded algorithmically generated practice questions, worked-example videos, interactive pathway activities, and a complete set of outcome aligned online assessments through Lumen OHM.
This course was developed by Lumen Learning and Deborah Devlin of Frostburg State University in Maryland. The primary text for this course is Mathematics for the Liberal Arts by Lumen Learning, adapted from Math in Society by David Lippman.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Online Homework Manager (OHM): A flexible, user-friendly math homework system with customizable learning content, assessments, and activities you can tailor to fit your needs. Request an OHM instructor account.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course may be delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
Deborah Devlin, Frostburg State University
What People Are Saying
“Since using Lumen, I am no longer tied down to a textbook. I am able to pick and choose the topics that fit my course objectives.” – Michelle Davis, Northeast Iowa Community College
“Since using OHM, I have achieved greater efficiency in giving feedback to students. OHM helps me to quickly let students know how well they are progressing through the course.” – Noel Whelchel, Atlanta Metropolitan State College
“I love how well OHM integrates with Blackboard Learn. I also like being able to create my own problems and/or edit other people’s problems to insert into my course.” – Michael McCoy, Schoolcraft College
Teaching with Lumen Course Materials
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.