Based on Prealgebra by the College of the Redwoods, this course provides an excellent foundation for subsequent math courses. Content coverage includes whole numbers, integers, fundamentals of algebra, fractions, decimals, ratios and proportions, percents, and graphing.
This course offers a set of resources including links to the text, videos, and online assessments. Primary sources include College of the Redwood’s Prealgebra and mathispower4u.com videos by James Sousa.
Prealgebra: College of the Redwoods is available as an OHM course.
- Online Homework Manager (OHM): A flexible, LMS-integrated math homework engine with learning content and activities you tailor to fit your students’ needs.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.