Farmingdale State College OER
The following resources are collected as a part of an OER workshop for Farmingdale State College on October 28, 2016.
This interactive workshop will include a practical overview of the use of OER by providing a brief introduction to open licensing and open education. We’ll focus on open course design by aligning open content to learning outcomes and assessments. Attendees will have an opportunity to begin the development and design of an open course using methods to customize open educational resources.
Workshop participants should bring:
- Student learning outcomes for at least one course. If you are unsure which course to take on, it will be easiest to start with gateway courses that have higher enrollments like those collected in the Lumen catalog, which generally have more resources already curated and enhanced.
- Your best work. Many faculty members have augmented or moved away from only using traditional textbooks. You will likely want to incorporate your own assessments, study guides, presentation materials, writing and other materials into OER courses. Make sure you have access to your own materials so you can include them in your material review.
- Your questions about open educational resources. This is an interactive workshop where we will learn together about OER.
Materials here are available for all participants. If you have questions or trouble accessing any resources, please contact us at support.lumenlearning.com.
Presentation: OER for Impact 9:30am-10:30am
Open Educational Resources (OER) are openly licensed teaching and learning materials that may be used and reused, adapted, and shared, at low cost or without charge. This presentation provides an introduction to OER, how effective adoption and use can generate significant impact for teaching and learning, and an overview of current OER initiatives across the SUNY system.
Workshop: OER Course Development 10:40-12:30pm
This workshop is designed to enable participating faculty, instructional designers, librarians, support staff and administrators to be fully equipped to adopt quality OER. Participants will come away with an understanding of how to locate and evaluate OER, and the options and tools available to them for remixing and adapting course materials.
- Contact support.lumenlearning.com, request help online
- Virtual Office Hours: Lumen holds open OER Office Hours every weekday.
- Join the Lumen Community Slack
Thank you for hosting us, Farmingdale State College!