Lumen Learning is a young, growing company. We are doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. Ever buy a college textbook? We think that hundreds of dollars is too much and for many people, the cost is an impassable barrier. We eliminate the need for expensive textbooks with a rich online learning experience that costs $25.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, drive, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, and health benefits. Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon. This position is open to US-based engineers and may require a small amount of travel.
We are committed to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive team. We know we can only achieve our goals by creating an engineering team of differing perspectives, social circumstances, values, and abilities, including members of historically marginalized communities.
The Position: Front-end Engineer
We are looking for a front-end engineer excited to disrupt inequality in higher education by bringing quality, affordable courseware to all students. You will be part of a small team responsible for creating the next generation of our adaptive assessments building new features primarily using Vue.js.
Your day-to-day in this role includes:
- Working closely with our product managers to understand the motivation behind and needs of new features.
- Writing readable and testable code based on ticket requirements.
- Creating UI components that are accessible and performant based on existing UI elements or InVision mockups.
- Providing feedback to other engineers through code review and pairing.
- Participating in our agile workflow: 2-week sprints, including daily standup, planning meetings, and retrospective.
- Responding to bug reports and troubleshooting with other engineers and stakeholders.
- Asking questions! Not only in the first 90 days in this role, but beyond — asking why we do things the way we do, what the goal of a feature/change is, what we’re measuring, how you can help.
Our company values define how we work with customers and with each other to create successful long-term relationships that support Lumen’s success and your personal success as a team member. Our values drive our responsibilities.
Commitment: We genuinely care.
You care about making a difference in higher education. At Lumen Learning, we love knowing our work makes a big difference to students and faculty all over the US.
Creativity: We solve difficult problems.
You’re curious about the user experience and driven to solve their problems in meaningful, measurable ways. As a front-end engineer, you display creativity in how you approach not only technical problems, but also how we work together as a team.
Generosity: We help people be their best.
You want to work in an environment where we give and receive feedback gratefully, where pairing and collaboration are part of the work at hand, not a distraction from it. You are inspired to help others grow and be challenged to grow and improve yourself.
Openness: We share openly.
Learning and sharing aren’t only things we look to improve for our users and customers, but also within our own team. You want to learn from others’ experiences and share your own to our overall benefit.
The ideal candidate will have the following basic qualifications:
- Professional experience writing accessible, responsive and cross-browser compatible front-end UIs with standards-compliant HTML and CSS/Sass
- Professional experience building and maintaining modern web applications with front-end frameworks, specifically Vue.js
- Familiarity with GitHub, including branching workflows and pull requests
- Impressive attention to detail, evidenced both in the depth of questions asked when reviewing mockups and in the final result in the browser
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
In addition to the qualifications above, we’d like to hear from you if you have previous experience or interest in the following:
- Writing front-end tests
- Developing and interfacing with REST APIs
- Agile/scrum development practices
- Working in a fully remote environment, using tools including Zoom, Slack, Jira
- Learning additional frameworks and programming languages as needed.
- This role is within the Lumen Engineering team and reports to the Front-end Lead
- Collaborates closely with other engineers and members of the product team, including product manager, UX designer and QA engineer
- Premium medical, dental and vision coverage–with a fully paid premium for employees.
- Flexible paid time off
- 401k with company match
How To Apply
Sound like a good fit? If you live in and are authorized to work in the United States, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.