Lumen’s company mission is to create unprecedented learning for all students. Each year we support 400,000 students and 5,000 faculty members in college courses. Lumen provides solutions that create effective learning experiences for students, and guide faculty members in the use of evidence-based teaching practices that improve student success.
Lumen is a small company that is growing rapidly. We are doing something that has not been done before. Each position requires an individual who can assess the needs of customers, the education community, and other Lumen team members and develop new approaches and solutions. This requires creativity, commitment, generosity, and openness.
The Position: Program Manager for Grant and Equity Initiatives
The Program Manager for Grant and Equity Initiatives works across the company to ensure that Lumen’s solutions create unprecedented learning for all students. This requires a strong understanding of evidence-based practices that achieve equitable educational results, excellent communication skills, and the ability to manage complex projects to successful completion.
The creation of this position aligns with the launch of a series of equity initiatives that are core to Lumen’s mission. Each project includes funding to engage and learn from knowledgeable partners, design solutions, implement the solutions with multiple college partners, and measure results.
The primary metrics for the position include:
- Achievement of equitable outcomes among all students using Lumen products
- Adoption by faculty members of inclusive teaching practices
- Completion of defined initiatives on time and on budget
- Reports to the VP of Product Management and participates in the product leadership team
- Collaborates with all members of the leadership team
- Leads key grant initiatives, with ownership for program design, execution, and results
Lead and facilitate the development of equity and inclusion solutions
- Recruit and collaborate with a range of experts who provide research-based input to teaching and learning solutions that achieve improved and equitable outcomes for students
- Synthesize data and evaluate tools, frameworks, and implementation models for evidence-based teaching practices
- With the user experience team, complete research to better understand the true needs and experiences of faculty members and administrators who are seeking better and more equitable outcomes for their students
- Monitor, evaluate, and share published research that identifies models and approaches to create improved, equitable student outcomes
Manage complex programs with many partners
- Translate grant proposals into project plans with milestones, metrics, resources, and deliverables
- Engage and support project partners, which include Lumen team members, institutional program managers, faculty participants, research partners, consultants, and funders
- Manage clear and timely communications with all program partners
- Track progress to plan and resolve or escalate issues that create risk in achieving objectives
- When things don’t go as planned, use patience and creativity to achieve the best outcomes
- Collect information and create reports to communicate progress on projects to the Lumen team, funders, and partners
Provide personal leadership
- Contribute to Lumen’s success in achieving our mission
- Share the research, discovery, and results of your work with the Lumen team in order to develop a broader understanding of the challenges, goals, and successes of faculty and students
- Inspire and support Lumen’s partners to do their best work
- Personify values of creativity, generosity, openness, and commitment
- Make Lumen a more successful, effective, and inclusive organization
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience
- A successful track record of leading equity initiatives in a higher education setting. This may include research initiatives, implementation initiatives, or a blending of the two.
- A demonstration of strong verbal and written communication skills, including both interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience leading projects to completion on time and on budget.
- A history of learning, and adjusting future plans to incorporate new knowledge and information.
- The ability to build networks and communities.
- Ideally (but not required), experience conducting primary research.
- Premium medical, dental & vision coverage – with a fully paid premium for employees.
- Flexible paid time off
- 401k with company match
How To Apply
Sound like a good fit? Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
More About Lumen Learning
You probably know how expensive buying college textbooks can be. We believe that hundreds of dollars is too much for those textbooks. For many people, the cost is an impassable barrier. We want to change that. Lumen Learning is using technology, research & data-driven learning design, and openly licensed content to deliver unprecedented learning results to college students, at an affordable price. We’re eliminating the need for expensive textbooks, and instead provide a rich online learning experience that costs students $25 or less. We have our sights set on saving students $1 billion a year.
We’re doing something that hasn’t been done before, and every day our work requires creativity, discipline, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values, or find out more about what we do on our website.
Lumen is based in downtown Portland (OR), but our company is made up of roughly 50% distributed employees (from all around the country), so we encourage remote applicants as well.
Lumen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.