Lumen’s company mission is to create unprecedented learning for all students. Each year we support 400,000 students and 5,000 faculty members in college courses. Lumen provides solutions that create effective learning experiences for students, and guide faculty members in the use of evidence-based teaching practices that improve student success.
Lumen is a small company that is growing rapidly. We are doing something that has not been done before. Each position requires an individual who can assess the needs of customers, the education community, and other Lumen team members and develop new approaches and solutions. This requires creativity, commitment, generosity, and openness.
The Position: Senior Product Manager, Lumen Courseware
As a Senior Product Manager, you will join a team dedicated to delivering best-in-class teaching, learning, and professional development experiences. Your primary responsibilities will be focused on Lumen’s Waymaker courseware and the newest addition to our suite of offerings, Lumen Circles.
A day in the life of a Senior Product Manager at Lumen includes:
- Use research, in conjunction with customer feedback to develop and defend the product vision.
- Drive the roadmap.
- Innovate with speed and focus.
- Prioritize teaching and learning improvements.
- Collaborate across teams and across business functions.
- Understand customer challenges and identify where technology can make a difference.
The primary metrics for the position include:
- Define, prioritize, and help deliver courseware features and functionality which result in improved teaching, learning, and professional development outcomes.
- Manage timelines and deliverables with the ability to balance risk, business value, and quality while maintaining transparency in decision-making.
- Analyze and evaluate goals and metrics that lead to successful strategies–including the ability to fail fast and adjust accordingly.
- Reports to the VP of Product Management and participates in the product leadership team
- Leads product decisions for Lumen’s Waymaker and Circles platforms.
- Collaborates closely with all members of the product and engineering teams, including our STEM Senior Product Manager, Quality Assurance Engineer, UX Designer and lead engineers. Is a strong partner within other parts of the organization including our learning team, marketing, support, and sales.
Our company values define how we work with customers and with each other to create successful long-term relationships that support Lumen’s success, and your personal success as a team member. Our values drive our responsibilities.
Commitment: We genuinely care.
- Caring about our customers means ruthlessly prioritizing the outcomes that matter most to the success of students, instructors and administrators. Through roadmapping activities and daily decision-making, you will define the strategic vision of your product(s) in order to make meaningful improvements in the way people teach, learn, and grow.
Creativity: We solve difficult problems.
- Leverage your experience with aspects of courseware such as PII, APIs, LTI, etc. Being curious about customer problems helps you define opportunities. Your technical expertise is focused on asking the right questions and prioritizing the best solutions in conjunction with the engineering team.
Generosity: We help people be their best.
- You understand and are willing to contribute to other functions within the team while maintaining a dedication to the product management role. It is important for you to establish a sense of trust and collaboration which allows all team members to grow and succeed in their specific roles.
Openness: We share openly.
- Driven by the opportunity to make a difference, you know (and have experienced) how education can change lives. Disrupting inequality in higher education by bringing quality, affordable courseware to all students gets you excited to come to work every day.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience
- 4 years of product management experience.
- A demonstration of strong verbal and written communication skills, including both interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in defining and developing products to meet business requirements, including establishing roadmaps for new and existing product models.
- A passion for learning and a desire to deliver meaningful and measurable products to the higher education community.
- The ability to build networks and communities, including stakeholder management both within the organization and with our higher education customers.
- Highly focused on understanding customer problems and translating those challenges into business opportunities.
- Desired but not required: experience with off-shore teams; familiarity with accessibility/WCAG compliance
- Premium medical, dental & vision coverage – with a fully paid premium for employees.
- Flexible paid time off
- 401k with company match
How To Apply
Sound like a good fit? Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
More About Lumen Learning
You probably know how expensive buying college textbooks can be. We believe that hundreds of dollars is too much for those textbooks. For many people, the cost is an impassable barrier. We want to change that. Lumen Learning is using technology, research & data-driven learning design, and openly licensed content to deliver unprecedented learning results to college students, at an affordable price. We’re eliminating the need for expensive textbooks, and instead, provide a rich online learning experience that costs students $25 or less. We have our sights set on saving students $1 billion a year.
We’re doing something that hasn’t been done before, and every day our work requires creativity, discipline, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values, or find out more about what we do on our website.
Lumen is based in downtown Portland (OR), but our company is made up of roughly 50% distributed employees (from all around the country), so we encourage remote applicants as well.
Lumen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.