Lumen Learning is a young, growing company that is doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content (OER) to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. Wherever possible, we find and reuse existing OER. In cases where no OER exists, we create content and openly license it for use by others.
Need for Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
We are always looking for instructors, content authors, and others with expertise in various topic areas to help with this content creation process. This is flexible work that can be done from home, from anywhere in the world. The work can be either part-time or full-time, and is milestone-based rather than a fixed number of hours per week.
- Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time and project management skills, including the ability to meet project deadlines
- Extremely reliable: When you take on a task, you see it through to the best of your ability
- Great people skills: you respect and enjoy working with people and organizations to help them succeed at their objectives
- While this work is primarily asynchronous, you must have availability to meet once per week (US Pacific time zone) with a Lumen Course Product Manager and other SMEs working on a course project
We hire SMEs to fill content creation roles across a number of areas:
- Core Content Author: Create the expository content (text, images, video) used in Lumen courses. Teaching experience in higher education required for this role.
- Question Author: Create outcome-aligned assessment questions for practice opportunities, self-checks, and quizzes.
- Interactive Activity Author: Create interactive activities (using H5P or similar) that allow students to get additional practice with difficult concepts.
- Assignment Author: Create human-graded assignments and discussion questions.
- Classroom Activity Author: Create powerpoints and in-class activities that Lumen instructors use in the classroom.
- Reviewer/Editor: Edit and proofread content and questions.
- OHM Question Author: Create and code algorithmic questions in the Lumen OHM platform.
- Desmos Content Author: Create interactive math activities in the Desmos authoring platform. Experience with the Desmos platform required for this role.
We are currently working on the following course projects, and actively seeking the roles listed for each. However, we encourage you to go ahead and apply (see link below) even if you don’t see your specific expertise represented below. We are constantly doing continuous improvement work on our entire catalog, and are thus always in need of Subject Matter Experts across a wide range of disciplines.
If you are interested in working with us as a Subject Matter Expert, please submit your application here. Again, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t see a specific course project above that represents your expertise. Our continuous improvement work means that we are always seeking Subject Matter Experts from a wide variety of disciplines.