Regardless of setting, there is value in practicing effective management principles. This course teaches students how to think as managers and actively manage organizations and teams using effective practices around planning, decision making, organizational structure, culture, leadership, motivation, and communication. The course begins by addressing foundational management principles, including primary functions of managers, types of management, and types of strategy, and develops toward addressing more complex topics such as ethics, control, and global business management.
This course was created in collaboration with John Bruton, Ph.D., retired professor of management/department chair, Cal State Northridge; Linda Bruton, retired from McGraw Hill; Jeff Heflin, director of finance at Asurion; Talia Lambarki, MBA; Lisa Jo Rudy, educational writer and consultant; Aaron Spencer, curriculum developer; David J. Thompson, Ph.D., professor at Ohio State University; and Robert Carroll, professor at Montgomery College.
Principles of Management is available as a Waymaker course or as a Candela course.
- Waymaker: User-friendly digital courseware with data-driven learning design, personalization, and messaging tools that can increase student engagement, persistence, and passing rates.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s low-cost Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.